Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Curious about reaction to "Finding Neverland"

Just finished watching "Finding Neverland" with my wife and we were both moved by it. (gotta love those Academy Screening DVDs)

I am curious, as this is the first real tear-jerker we have seen since the birth of Grace, but is my (and her) blubbery reaction to it heightened because I am a new parent (if you haven't seen it, it features several children in very important roles) or was it simply a great movie? I am worried that I will now fall apart at any sentimental offering from Hollywood. My initial feeling is that it was simply a fine movie and I haven't become like that girl who used to work for me that lost it nearly every day.

The movie kind of reminded me of Shadowlands, an extremely underrated movie about CS Lewis starring Anthony Hopkins & Debra Winger.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Hey man, I cried at the second "Bridget Jones" movie. The older the cryier. I cried at "Freaks" (wedding feast); I cry at the original "Night of the Living Dead" (a movie too beautiful for language); and forget those Fred Astaire movies, especially the one with "Night and Day." I cry at William Powell and Myrna Loy. I cry at the scene with Bacall in the doorway in "To Have and To Have Not"; I cry at the stupidest goddamn things you ever saw, including "A Charlie Brown's Christmas" and Wile E. Coyote, and that bulldog with the little kitten. Sometimes Daffy Duck makes me cry. The mirror scene in "Duck Soup" makes me cry buckets. And forget about Schumann.

Anonymous said...

I cried the first time I saw As Good As It Gets. I, too, thought it was because of the fact that I had an 18 month old and another baby on the way. My wife says it was because I had a severe case of strep throat and was delirious due to being overmedicated.