Friday, February 25, 2005

Red State/Blue State

From what I can remember, before the 2000 election, the whole red state/blue state map was a fluid thing. Being a new father who gets no sleep, I am too tired to do actual research right now other than a link here, but I distinctly recall seeing an article that the colors changed from network to network, election to election. In one election the democrat states would be red, the GOP blue. The article linked mentions that before 1992 the dems were red, GOP blue.

My idea is that the networks should change the colors in the 2008 election. They could even try it for the 2006 midterm elections. The Democrats could become red again (although that would give the Republicans ammo for labelling them communists again. And the Repubs could become the bluebloods again).

The reason I suggest this is because of a post I read today on the internets best blog, by Digby. One of the things I took from the post was regarding the North/South divide from the civil war. It got me thinking about how this red/blue thing has helped propogate the divisiveness between the parties and states. It has allowed for the easy demonization of the other side. But if all of a sudden I lived in a Red State, then that demonization wouldn't take hold as easy. I'm actually exhausted right now and will work on a more coherent explanation in the near future, but what I am trying t0 get at is that by allowing the media to continue this lazy shorthand, we will, in a small way, continue to see those in the "red" states as others, and vice versa.

I loathe everything the Republican Party is doing to this country right now, but I am directing my anger at a party, not a collection of entire red states. If we change the colors in the next election, the wholesale demonization of entire states will be less attractive. It's only a symbol, but as we all know, symbols matter.

If you have any opinions on this, please feel free to add them.

2 comments:

Michael said...

My opinion is that we're in the early stages of America's second Civil War, and I saw it coming a long, long time ago. My friend Paul can testify to this. I swore it would happen, and it has. The reasons are pretty clear: it's about money and power and single-party rule, gained by fanning the flames of nationalism through the politics of hate and fear. Nazism.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, it’s late in the evening, quiet and peaceful. This is good computer time for me. I thought I would check on white and see what came up. Red State/Blue State is something that is interesting to many people. I will also spend a little time checking on white. Getting late, have a good evening.