Tuesday, March 01, 2005

David Brooks got me thinking...

Plenty of folks got on the David Brooks beatdown bandwagon today for his column today about couples and separate bank accounts.

Basically he was saying that he was ever so slightly troubled by couples who keep separate bank accounts. He feels that in a marriage, separate accounts could trigger self interest that could be unhealthy in a marriage. As usual, he was reaching a bit to make his point, but in this case I tend to agree with him. Granted, I am looking at it through the eyes of a guy who was married at the age of 26 with essentially nothing in the bank. Sharing half of nothing was easy. But I am a sentimental fool and I still take all those marriage cliches seriously. So on this day, I will not bash David Brooks.

No comments: