Saturday, May 07, 2005

Fun With Fraudulent Emails

I was sent an unusually good fake email supposedly from EBay today. The gist of it was this:

Dear eBay Member,We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.

After contacting the real Ebay and telling them about it, I decided to the link and have some fun.
When I clicked it, it asked for LOTS of information. I guess they figure if you were dumb enough to click on the link you would give them the following information:

Ebay ID: GOfuckyourselfasshole
Ebay password: burninhell

Name: Whatami Ann Idiot
Address: 235 You People Suck lane, Fuckoffanddie, Kansas
Bank: PT Barnum Trust (I thought this was a nice touch)
PIN: nicetryfucko
Date of birth: I plugged in yesterdays date
Mothers maiden name: Interpol

It then asked for the following: MY account number, routing number, checking account number, PIN, birth date, , ebayaddress, ebay PIN, and finally my paypal PIN.

If there are people dumb enough to fall for this, then god help us.

No comments: