Monday, November 08, 2004

Red State + Blue Television = Big Ratings

Last night, during the commercials for L&O Criminal Intent I switched over to Desperate Housewives to get a sense of what the hubbub is.

The first time I switched, the red haired desperada was eating in a restaurant with (I assume) her shrink. She told him how much she loved sex and also mentioned something about how she never liked a man's scrotum.

The next commercial break, Red was now visiting (again I assume) her estranged husband in a motel room which was clearly shot on a soundstage. She was in a fur coat (in LA?) and of course underneath was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Hubby began to head in that direction before the scene ended abruptly in marital discord.

Aside from Dennis Franz's ass, this is indeed the raciest stuff I have seen on network television. Clearly people are titillated by it as the ratings can attest.

I can't imagine that all these viewers are
A: in Blue States
B: Blue State voters in Red States

Clearly there is an overlap between moral values voters and Desperate Housewives viewers. If we can find out who they are, I think we can win the next election.

No comments: