Thursday, November 18, 2004

Worst...Column...Ever

This is the worst column about our voting machines. from the Washington Post, no less.

So I wrote her a letter:
-----------------------------------------
Dear Ms. Applebaum,

Your column of November 16th was not your best (this is the nicest way to say that).

We must have transparency in our election process. The fact that for profit corporations have control over the election process is scary enough, but when they can't see to provide us with a paper trail to THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL THING WE DO AS CITIZENS, your flippancy on the issue is foolish.

Do I trust my phone bill every month? Mostly, yes, but I check it thoroughly every so often, BECAUSE I CAN. With e-voting, I don't have that option.

Think about this: If tomorrow, your bank said that it no longer would provide you with the option of a paper record and you simply would have to trust them, what would you do? Would this fill you with confidence? What if when you went to Nordstroms they told you that you would no longer get a receipt, but to trust their computers.

I am not suggesting that the election was hacked. But I am suggesting that I am not comfortable with a voting system that provides with no alternate backup. WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THIS?

Sure you try and backpedal in the last two paragraphs, but the damage is done. I repeat. Voting is the single most important thing we do as citizens. To intimate that because I simply want a record of my vote that I am a conspiracy theorist is pathetic. I simply want to know that my vote counts and can be counted.

I look forward to hearing form you.

Sincerely,
Chris Swartout

No comments: