Friday, July 29, 2005

Father Knows Something

Another day visiting Grace. I'm sad to report that no parent came to visit the baby mentioned in the previous post, although we overheard the nurse on the phone with the baby's father this evening. A good sign (like a bunt single).

Today was officially bodily fluids day at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Grace's catheter seemed to be leaking when I was holding her so I was soaked with urine at midday. No worries.

Then tonight, she inexplicibly vomited all over her father's jeans. Again, no worries. One thing I have learned this past year is that bodily fluids are no big deal.

(I will make on every important exception. When we were living on 35th Street, after a night of serious wine drinking with the Deacasper/Lauritsens, I was banished to the couch, whereupon I managed to vomit the entire contents of my stomach, which was essentially a bottle + of RED wine. It was so bad we had to order new cushions. And I'm happy to report I'm still married).

Back to the issue at hand. Grace is recovering well and perhaps we will be out on Saturday.

One of the things I have learned this week is something that many people have told me: Your love for your child(ren) grows exponentially. You think you love them when they are born. Hah! That's nothing. Wait a year. I can't wait until she's 10 years old. The nice thing is that your capacity to love also includes your wife. To steal the Grinch analogy, your heart (actually its the brain, but so what) grows to accomodate everybody.

Strange how hospitalization makes one optimistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wait Chris, until they actually are 11, like Katie just turned, and then the others are 9 and 8. The love is huge, but so are the school clothes bill, the braces bill, the sports bill, the music lesson bill, so I guess your brain has the ability to accommodate all sorts of things! Grace is adorable, Love Cath