Friday, July 08, 2005

London

Every pundit has been throwing around the phrase "stiff upper lip" with idiotic abandon. Well, if you want to know why they earned that title (aside from marrying one), then I suggest you read this book: London 1945.

The book's title is pretty accurate: it is about London during the last year of the war. Essentially, the city was living through a day like yesterday every single week. And this was after the Blitz. I began reading it a couple of months ago and work/baby fatigue has left it on the night stand. Time to get reading again.

I asked Sarah's aunt Audrey, who lived through WW2 in London, what it was like living through the Blitz. She was utterly matter of fact about it. You got through it because you had no choice. What else were you supposed to do? You had to live your life. Indeed.

I'd prefer the term "Tough Buggers." May I also refer you to Mayor "Red" Ken Livingstone's excellent statement yesterday.

No comments: